Saturday, November 15, 2008

AMILY'S . BIRTHDAY / GLASGOW . TRIP

just got back from Glasgow...

It wasn't a planned trip, but it was a planned surprise for Amily's birthday in Glasgow... it was like ages since we had her birthday celebration back in KL, that time was with Adora, Chern Xi, Celdrick, Mak, and I... and that time was almost the deadline of our submission... but we dun care, I think that's probably explaint why my semester always have late submissions.... too much programes and fun stuffs going on, well that's how life goes isn't?... well it is her 21-st birthday, she deserves the best on the 12-11-2008.

DAY 1

Went to get the bus right after the History class at 10 a.m.... and I was really panic because I did not book the bus ticket before hand...for the reason of saving 50 pence online booking fee...but I was lucky because I still manage to get a ticket half an hour before the bus starts it's journey... the bus started the ride from 11 a.m. till 7 p.m. with half an hour transition in Manchester.. it was a long ride and a suffering for my ass and back.
Well, in such a long ride, normally you will sleep.... but it just aint normal for me that slept like almost the whole journey, but everytime when I woke up in the bus, there were just beautiful, and zen like landscape that would surprise me. It's an enjoyable ride.Reached to Glasgow about 7 something, and I just feel to spring into this Scottish city, out of my surprise, it isn't that cold and windy as compare to Liverpool... but it is still cold...the first sight that will caught your attention when you reached to the station is the Cineworld. It is so F$#@ing big. Hann said it is the biggest cinema in the world...I'm so dum. I miss the chance to watch movie in this cinema.
Before meeting Ami they all, I managed to follow Hann to his Glasgow School of Art, Mackintosh's Studio...Some of the Studio works. Some are really conceptually interesthing.The studio. The entire big space is partitioned by studio table.... I like the messiness of it...good for architecture space.

around 8 something Hann and I went to meet them, and I was told to walk 5 minutes behind Hann so that Ami will get the surprise, but it seems I need not to do that because when I got there, Amily can't really see me.... because she was wearing contact lance (she thought I was Hann's friend, so What de man) she was like... erm who is this guy... haiz. It seems that she is still with her blur-blur attitute eventhough I did not met her for so long... hahaha. Anyway, she still get the surprise because I manage to come to her birthday party (like after 3 minute of good looking on me), she was not expected it... at all, but thanks to Pei Yee and Hann to arrange everything...

We had our dinner at this very restaurant... The candles are cute aren't they? got it from Starbucks...(at first Hann said he make it... and stupidly, Amily and I believed him =.=)The birthday girl. My delicious Grill Sword Fish. Delicious rating 10/10.A memory to be remembered...

DAY 2

Woke up pretty late today, because yesterday was chatting with Amily, Pei Yee and Pierre till late night...ai, I woke up at ten something...I went out to explore this Scottish city at around 12 something after I did some brief reseach on this town.

The Strathclyde Student accommodation, this is where I stayed for 4 days in Scotland, the room is much bigger and nicer than mine... (but I like my accommodation setting though) The campus...
Ok, one part which I hate about Strathclyde Uni is that it is located at up slope... and it is very steep, when you walk down from the slope, you feel as if you gonna fall... look at the cars on the slope in the above pictures. SCARY.The Buchanan Street, which formed the main shopping street in Glasgow (the largest city in Scotland), and you can find the most uprange market over here... almost everything...erm, I guess if I'm study here I'm gonna come here everyday to "window shop" hahaha.
Mac... like most of the high ranges shops here, they renovate the old building interiors and maintaining the exterior... thus when you are in the streets, you feel as if you are in Victorian period, but once you get into the interior, it will bring you to a total different dimension. One interesting part is that how they actually integrate the old and new, and that I think is the reason why in UK architecture course, they always emphasize on the design in the integration of the old and new, well that is what my first project did, it seems easy, yet it does not seems so... in the end, all we got to do is just keep on fatasize...
The first stop, GOMA (Gallery of Modern Art), it is one of the must visit building in Glasgow, and it is the second most visited contemporary gallery outside London, so of course I wont miss the chance to visit it... you will be surprise the strong contrast of the skin and the spaces within. the spaces are very Steven Holl- ish... Some of the art works are really amazing as well... LOVIN IT.
The light coloured spaces...

Time for lunch... simple dishes under an old restaurant.
The raining city...
the old Glasgow Bridge...it must had it's glorious time before ... The journey continues... The Glagow Iconic Glasgow Bridge, the Clyde Arc bridge. The transformation of it's imej from day to night is just Simply Elegant.
Because it is winter now, the sky turned dark when it is around 3 something and I can not manage to get into the Science Centre and the Armadillo building because they close pretty early.... and so I decided to come back the next day... I hope I can make it here earlier tomorrow... I can only hopeI din know that the BBC Scotland is located nearby as well... it's present itself like a transparent glass sheet towards the river...I was so hungry when I get back to the accomodation but I'M SO LUCKY, Amily and Pei Yee flatmates cook CHINA FOODS tonight as a treat to Amily birthday.


I wish I can have Hiro ability, go back in time and eat the dinner again...

I wish I'm a good cook... everyday eat spaghetti for my lunch is so boring...

I wish tomorrow will be a better exploration...

DAY 3
Malaysian'ish taste that I probably can't find anywhere in UK for breakfast... thanks to Pei Yee (that was her last Maggi) Solemness after the morning?...The grand Glasgow Cathedral.Seeking for holy light.The purity.The cityscape of Glasgow with the mix of differeThe different period of styles within this city will just make you love to wonder around... around and around... I regret to have stay only 4 days in this poetic city. I will come back for more someday in future.
The Glasgow University.The story within..Getting a chance to visit this mytical university is been like a dream for me... it must had been a wish for the others to stay here forever as a student. I bet everyone will love this place.The light of knowledge is just beyond the door.The portal to the city beyond...The time that I had spend in Glasgow University is beyond my planned, but I think it is worth it... every single second of it... on the way the Science centre, this massive museum caught my attention...Kelvingroove Art Gallery and Museum.My everyday expression... which one belongs to you now...I wonder.A walk under a moody sun is not enough... perhaps under this one will brighten my mood..
/walking towards Glasgow Science Centre, Amadillo and BBC Scotland Buildings.../
Sometimes simple design orders will make you feel the impact as well... this is just another great example from Norman... great job.Growing high...The Glasgow masterpieces... (from left, the Amadillo building, the Clyde Arc Bridge, BBC building, the Glasgow Science Centre)Winter. you . are . just . so . on . the .way...I can't manage to get into the building for a visit, because the sunset so early today...urgh! time for home sweet home and sweety foods... before that, a short visit to Strathclyde studio...The linear space of studio where each space is for one unit... and all this is link by a corridor ... everyone still working hard huh...Some of the architorture students' masterpieceSmiles that we never forget...from left Amanda, Hann and Amily... they are still cute...lol

A tire day stomach should fill up with this meals... by Ami chef...something that I miss so much since I got here... tom yam soup.... more please Amiy.

DAY 4The last day... to the Lighthouse where it gather all the Glasgow architecture. The play of natural light within it's spaces make the entire building look spacious although it is a very small building...The nautilus staircase... the contrast and merging in between the light and mass... The architect exhibition...

Took the bus back to Liverpool at around 3.15p.m. after had a farewell lunch with Amily, Hann and Pei Yee...

Glasgow, in my defination, a place of memory, art and FRIENDSHIP... I hope the rest are here as well.

picture taken during semester 3 after studio one cric.

2 comments:

Blu3_Darren said...

Andrew, if those photos are by you, I mean those taken in UK....

I think you would probably like to polish your photography skill...

I kind of like the potential of "freedom" in taking photo you have.
the perfection of unintentional composition.

Just got to work a lil bit on the composition I think..and photoshop.

I believe sell-dixk will know more about it.
XD

addicted to your blog due to scens of UK.

Andrew said...

yealo yealo, thansk for ur comment, haiz I seriosuly need to polish my photo taking skill... i think my composition skill is very boring in the picture... erm or perhaps others...?